Monday, March 10, 2014

The Light

You died last night. It was quite unfortunate – you were young and reckless. Coming back home from a party with your fellows, you made the common mistake of confusing a tree with a road and by the time you had enough sense to push on the breaks, it was all over.


That's when you found me. I'd have to say, for a completely white, simple room, you completely astonished by it. When you saw me though was when you really started staring. Kind of stupidly, you asked the question “Are you god?”


Of course I wouldn't lie to you, so I told you who I really was, your conscience.


“My conscience?” You asked, which I honestly found as another dumb question, but I suppose I'm not here to judge. I answered yes.


“Where am I?” Was systematically your next question. Once again, I answered honestly – your mind.


Once again you asked for confirmation – “My mind?” I said yes, your mind.


To speed the process up, I decided to explain things a little more clearly for you – I was your guide. You had died, and it was unfortunate – but it was time for you to go on to your next life. You asked me what it meant. I told you that you would be reincarnated in another body. Like you normally were when I got to this part, you looked at me half shocked and half confused and asked what this meant. Once again, I answered honestly.


The next day, you were to be born to some family somewhere on earth as a new slate and a new brain. You asked if this would mean you would forget everything in this life, and like countless times before, I simply opened the curtains.


You were met with the room of past yous. You stood staring at them, as they looked back at you. I could tell you were pretty impressed with your personal track record when you passed by Abraham Lincoln and Julius Caesar, formerly just famous figures you found out to be you.


But overall I could tell you were just fascinated by what you were. Black and white, asian and hispanic, old and young – your depression set in after seeing you as an eight month baby. Eventually you set off your anti-social attitude to talk with the others to find you had a lot more in common with them than you thought. You all had the same basic interests, the same ideas, but you all had different jokes. You were just beginning to realize how different you really are from yourself.


With a grin I put back up the curtain, and got out the form I had filled thousands of time before.


The next day, you were born.



No comments:

Post a Comment