Saturday, May 28, 2016

Guardians of Enthia -- Chapter VII

Are we almost there?”

Not used to climbing, are you?”

No – well, yes, the Society doesn't do much fieldwork – but I meant it more earnestly, like-”

Yes, yes – I understand. We'll be there very soon.”

Alatricia smiled down upon her elven companion, seeming to glide up the mountain while Zeroi slowly made his way up, taking his time though not by choice.

So, how well do you know these people?” the Elondi asked.

Somewhat,” answered the Acadian, “I saved a few of their men once from a band of wilderness patrol. Gave me a feast and everything for it, told me they would do something for me if there ever came a time. Don't know if their promise counts for something this big, though.”

Well, they are called the 'Red Bandits'. Are you sure they're not just going to attack us the second we get there?”

Listen, I've dealt with these people before. They're fine; believe me. Fine enough at least.”

Little did the two travelers know, the group known as the Red Bandits had been listening in to their conversation for quite some time already. As Alatricia finished talking, two members came down from the shadows of the trees, weapons out.

Oh, wonderful.” Zeroi already began to put his hands up in defeat, however the rogue had different ideas.

I must speak to your leader,” The woman marched up to the two members, and as they pointed their swords towards her she simply held them softly by their blades, “I must speak to Reydal.”

The two looked towards each other, and nodded. “We will lead you to him,” one of the grunts said, and the four continued deeper into the forest.


State your names to the Baron.” The same one who had spoken in the forest spoke now, as the current two guardians of Enthia stood in the presence of the legendary hunter and thief Reydal Whisperwind.

The Realm of the Red Bandits lived up to its name – though the trees they were in before all held the same green tint, the base was built upon a small patch of everreds, whose bright beauty could only be admired in its enclave. The base itself was fortified by wood – normal oak, of course – and the throne in which Reydal sat was expertly crafted, and decorated all around with the thick thorny vines of the Red Rose.

Unlike some characters we are already familiar with, the Baron of the Red Rose both spoke in charisma as well as held the desired looks of a prince, though this prince had been banished from society long ago. He wore a noble cloak of red and black, which he no doubt stole, and his fair head held fair hair, a sharp brown that seemed to contrast beautifully with its surroundings.

No need, I already recognize the girl. This elf, however-”

Zeroi, my lord. Or, er, baron?”

Reydal gave a kind chuckle to the remark. “I am certainly no lord, and I am only called the Baron passionately. My name does not own any real titles, at least by your standards.” He then turned to the face with which he was familiar. “So, Alatricia, what brings you back?”

Actually, I believe the elf can better explain things than I.”

Now, with the spotlight entirely on Zeroi, he spoke once more of the terror approaching Enthia, and its need for a leader.

I have heard these statements before, from my spies in the capital,” Reydal began to move around in his seat, “it was not yesterday that there was a conference upon the topic of the recent attempt on King Heirut's life.”

So, you're interested?” The excitable Elondi clenched his body in hoping for a good response.

Not exactly. There are many things that make me continue to wonder on these claims, as well as make me wonder, if the time comes, that I could lead such a group. I also can find complaints in working with the people of the cities.

What do you mean?”

Ah – no offense to you, my friend. I simply mean that there are people in the city in which, even if I was to save our world from such a depraved apocalypse, they would still see me be hanged, and simply pass on the credit to someone else.”

The elf was ready to continue to complain, but the young Enthian stopped him from speaking. “That being said, there are many factors to this, and I could only wish that I could make up my mind in one night. Please; I know you have had a long journey to get here, the least I could do would be allow you to stay until I have made up my mind. My people will find you a place to rest – go with them.”

And so ended day one of the trip to the Realm of the Red Bandits.


---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment