Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Darkness

Its arms wrapped around me like a cold cloak. It shielded my eyes, for I could not see anything but him. The Darkness grinned at me, I knew, and I grinned too. It was with it that I was home. A place where no light could invade, a place no sun could interpret. All light except one, one artificial light that showed me who I was with. These two were my friends, my family, and that they remained. Nothing filled my mind with such peace and serenity as these two.

Oh Darkness! Blinding Darkness! Its grin grew wider and I matched mine with it. The single light shown brightly and gave warmth, but my father, the darkness, gave everything I needed.

Oh Darkness! Piercing Darkness! A shadow along all walls, this was my home. This was my family.

But the light came. It was slow at first, but gradually it filled the room. The Darkness grin shrunk and the mother faded, leaving me bathed in a word of renewed uncertainty. The disfigured patron of that world started at me from the corner of the room as I held tightly to the sides, hoping for escape.

“Larry, I thought I told you to get off the fucking computer!”

I recognized the voice. It's horrible, cruel, hoarse voice. It was my mother, not by right but by birth. I shielded my gaze from her like she was of the Gorgon, using my brand-new stripped fedora and copy of Hyperdimension Neptunia as cover.

“I said, I'd be out soon dammit!” I knew the only way to go against a monster was with its own tactics.

“If you don't get off that computer soon, I'll call the police, and you remember the last time I called the police-”

“Just shut up already!”



My actions finally soothed the beast. The gargantuan creature invading my home finally sighed in defeat and left once more, leaving me again in the peace of my darkness. 

---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment